Hate List by Jennifer Brown
Brown, Jennifer. Hate List. London: Little, Brown Young Readers, 2009. Print. ISBN-13: 978-0316041454. Formats available: hardcover, paperback, ebook, audiobook. Paperback $8.20.
Info 684 Genre: Realistic Fiction
Val Leftman returns to school after her boyfriend, Nick, brought a gun to school, killing several students and injuring others, including Val. While Val tries to recover, emotionally and physically, dealing with her feelings of guilt and anger, her community regards her with suspicion and distrust.
Video Book Talk:
Themes include: Violence, bullying, hatred, family tension, identity, and suicide
Awards/Honors: ALA best book for YA, VOYA “Perfect Ten,” and School Library Journal Best Book of the Year.
A personal note about bullying: Bullying is a powerful theme found in Hate List and a recurring theme in many of our lives. As someone who suffered severe bullying in school, I want to remind my readers that you aren’t alone. You don’t have to suffer in silence, some of the people you might talk to include; your parents/guardians, teachers, counselors, clergy, friends, parents of friends, law enforcement, your librarian, and me. If you talk to someone and feel you aren’t being heard, talk to someone else. Don’t give up. Ever. You are not alone.
There are also resources online that might help, heres just a couple.
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline, or reach them by phone at 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Teens Against Bullying has great resources for teens about bullying. You can also get involved with their fight against bullying.
About the Author: Jennifer Brown writes YA and Middle grade books.
- In addition to Hate List she has several other books currently published.
- You can learn more about her and her books at her website.
- She also encourages readers with questions or comments to reach out to her at JenniferBrownYA@gmail.com.
- Locate Hate List at your local library through Worldcat.org
- See what other teens thought about Hate List at Teen Ink
- If you like Hate List, find similar books at Goodreads.com
Citation & Credits
Book cover image: Courtesy of Amazon.com
Book Talk: Kelsey Bogan. 2015. All rights reserved.
“Jennifer Brown.” Jennifer Brown. Web. 6 July 2015. http://www.jenniferbrownya.com
JenniferBrownYA. “Hate List Trailer.” Online video clip. YouTube.com. 9 Sept 2009. Web. 6 July 2015.