Ok, I was watching Chamber of Secrets last night, and it occurred to me that Chamber of Secrets basically repeats the entire basic plot of Sorcerer’s Stone. Watch this.
The Dursley’s lock Harry in somewhere in the house
- Closet under the stairs
- Smallest bedroom
Harry believes something about the school that no one else believes.
- That the Sorcerer’s Stone is there and Snape is trying to get it
- That there is a voice that only he can hear, and it’s petrifying people
Hagrid brings a terrifying pet into the school
- Fluffy and Norbert
Malfoy and Harry duel
- Malfoy invites Harry to a duel (its a fake invite though)
- Malfoy and Harry duel in the dueling club
Harry keeps secrets from Dumbledore which, if he’d been honest about, would have negated the need for his crazy dangerous exploits
- Doesn’t tell Dumbledore his suspicions
- Lies about hearing voices
Harry goes into the Forrest and is recued by a random “creature”
- Rescued by the centaur
- rescued by the car
Dumbledore leaves the school at a critical point in the story
- Dumbledore is “called away” at the end of the book
- Dumbledore is stripped of his duties by Mr. Malfoy and the school board
Hermione completely saves the day
- too many to list
- too many to list
Harry sneaks under the school with his friends, only to be separated from them so that he ends up facing voldemort on his own at the end.
- Gets past Fluffy, Ron gets hurt in chess and Ron & Hermione can’t go with harry to the end confrontation with Voldemort.
- Harry and Ron go under the school, Ron causes a cave in that separates him from Harry, causing Harry to have to go confront Voldemort on his own.
Story ends with Harry and Dumbledore talking philosophically (and dumbledore being vague)
See? Basically the same story, two different times. I’ve literally read these books easily dozens of times and never realized this until now!
Can you think of any that I missed?