Diversity Audit: Final Presentation

As you may know, I began a diversity audit on my fiction collection earlier this year. I have since completed the audit. It was an incredible experience that I’m so glad I put the time into. After painstakingly researching every single book in my fiction collection, I now have the data I need in order to move forward with establishing our collection as truly diverse and representative of our global community. Its going to take a lot of hard work, but I can’t wait to keep working at this until our collection is everything I know it can be.

I have presented about my process and my experience to my Admin, and to a few library associations. I am including a few screenshots from the presentation here for anyone who would like to learn a little more about how I did this audit.

If you’d like to go directly to my data and results, you can find all of that on this padlet.

I blogged throughout my experience, you can find each post here:


  1. Thank you so much for sharing your diversity audit how-to guide and results! I had never heard of the term before, but I certainly agree that it is an essential task, and I commend you for all the hard work you put in! I was impressed to read that your students were a driving factor in this audit, when you mentioned they “expected and needed [you] to do better regarding representation and antiracism practice.” I was wondering if you shared the results of your audit with the student body, or discussed it with them? Or have they noticed a difference in the library? It seems like it could possibly open up some really interesting conversations!


    • Thank you! I’ve been transparent with my community throughout the entire audit process, from letting them know I would be doing it and why, giving them updates throughout the process on what data was emerging, letting them know how the data was influencing my purchasing and weeding choices, etc. I did this using our monthly newsletters and our social media feeds. I put together a presentation of the whole thing which I sent out to everyone too, so they definitely know about it. Since most of them are still in virtual learning environment I havent been able to see the level of circulation as I would in an ormal year so I can’t speak yet to any impact it may have on that, but I have noticed that way more students now feel comfortable asking me for specific types of characters and content when I help them with readers advisory. Students never used to ask for things like “I’d like a black character” or “I’m looking something featuring a Muslim character” but ever since I advertised so heavily about the Diversity Audit, I get a lot more specific requests, which has been pretty cool. The community has been very receptive as well, a lot of parents, teachers, admin, and board members follow our instagram and have seen the diversity audit info and I’ve gotten a lot of great feedback from them about it. Defenitely opens the door to great and important conversations!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s